After the death of Mr. Kirtley, who was Superintendent of the Locomotive and Carriage Departments of the Midland Railway Company for nearly thirty years, there was a general desire on the part of those who had worked under him to erect a monument on his grave in testimony of their affectionate remembrance of him. A committee was formed for the purpose of carrying out this object, consisting of Mr. C.H. Jones, treasurer; Mr. Geo. Mellor, secretary, and the following delegates from the Locomotive and Carriage Departments—Messrs. Blake, Needham, Saltow, Eaves, Norman, Bregazzi, Chambers, Curran, Benfield, Goodall, Hilliard, Scotton, and Middleton.

In a very short time, and without any solicitation, a considerable sum was subscribed. There were upwards of 2,000 contributors from the whole of the Locomotive and Carriage Departments on the line, viz., Derby, Kentish Town, Lancaster, Carnforth, Bradford, Leeds, Normanton, Liverpool, Manchester, Buxton, Sheffield, Staveley, Clay Cross, Toton, Nottingham, Lincoln, Burton, Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Worcester, Brecon, Gloucester, Bristol, Peterbro', Leicester, Rugby, Kettering, Wellingborough, and Bedford. The amount collected would no doubt have been greater, for many other friends asked to be allowed to subscribe, but it was thought better that the work should be done entirely by Mr. Kirtley's own staff.

From a large number, and a great variety of designs for the monument, which were submitted, two, by Messrs. Alex. Macdonald Field and Co., of Aberdeen, were selected, and so combined that the best parts of each appear in the one adopted and now erected in the Derby Old Cemetery, Uttoxeter-road. It is a gray granite obelisk, 26ft. high. The base is octagonal, but as it rises it assumes the form of a square column, upon the polished side of which is the following inscription:—

Matthew Kirtley, born February 6th, 1813, died May 24th, 1873, Locomotive Superintendent of the Midland Railway Company from 1844 to the time of his death. This monument was erected by the employees of the Locomotive and Carriage Department as a token of their affection. "The way of the just is uprightness." —Isaiah, 26 c., 7 c.

Above this inscription is a cornice delicately carved by sinking from the polished surface of a large cove, and crowning all is the beautiful finely polished needle in one solid block, 16 feet long. Although the monument weighs nine or ten tons the whole consists of only twelve separate parts. The "tout ensemble" is very symmetrical and elegant, and the manner in which the work has been executed reflects great credit on the makers, and on Messrs. J. and E. Wood, builders, of Derby, who erected it.

The Derby Mercury, Wednesday, Feb 17, 1875; Issue 8378